About a week after Brooklyn's first birthday she broke her leg. It was so sad. Mike's aunt Mindy was in town because she was bringing her oldest daughter out to BYUI. They wanted to come and see our new house and see Brooklyn and go to church with us. So Mindy, her two girls and Polly all came up to our house on Sunday to have lunch and then go to church with us. I was taking them on a tour of our house and Polly had Brooklyn. Mindy and I were upstairs and we hear Polly fall down the stairs. It was the most horrible sound. Brooklyn immediately started screaming. I ran down and picked her up and she was crying so hard. I could not calm her down. I tried everything. I tried feeding her I tried rocking her and cuddling her, Mike tried and nothing was working. We finally got her calmed down a little bit so and Mindy took Polly home because she was pretty sore as well. We went to church and Brooklyn was miserable. So when we got home I called her pediatrician and they told us to take her down to the ER so they could do x-rays. So we headed down to Timpanogos hospital. When we got there I told then that I thought it might be her rib because she would cry extra hard when you picked her up. So the doctor examined her and decided to do a cat scan to make sure that there wasn't anything broken or ruptured internally. The only problem was that he wanted to put dye in her so that meant she had to have an IV. It was so horrible. She screamed the entire time. We finally got her calmed down and they came and got her to do the cat scan. Well she was so scared that she wouldn't hold still for the cat scan so it didn't work. They ended up having to give her a little sedative to help her hold still enough. That worked and they were able to get a good picture. Luckily everything came back good and they just said she had a bruised rib so to keep her on Tylenol and Motrin and follow up with her pediatrician if things didn't get better.
Well the next day I noticed that she wouldn't put any weight on her left leg. Up to this point she was getting really good at walking along things and crawling everywhere, but she wouldn't. She wouldn't walk along anything. She would just drag her leg and when she would pull her self up she wouldn't stand on her left leg. So I gave it a couple days and she still wasn't putting weight on it so I called her pediatrician again and he wanted to see her. So we took her down and he ordered x-rays. We then went back over to Timpanogos and they did the x-rays. While we were waiting the x-ray tech came out and she had Dr. Clayton on the phone. He told us that she had a fracture on her femur. He suggested we take her up to Primary Children's to get the cast on. I immediately called up there to schedule a time to get her cast on and they couldn't get her in for a week. I was so bummed. Finally the day came and we headed up to the Orthopedic section of Primary Children's. They did more x-rays and then the doctor came in and told us that we had three options. We could either put a splint on it, cast it or do nothing. We decided that we felt best with putting in in a cast. Luckily since it had already healed quite a bit and so well she only had to have her cast on for a week. She screamed getting the cast on and wouldn't hold still so they had to do it twice. I felt so bad for her. She did really well with the cast though. She didn't let it slow her down. Finally after a week we went back up and they did more x-rays and said that it had completely healed so they were able to take her cast off! I was so glad that it healed well and quickly. She still won't put tons of weight on her leg so it must be sore still but she is doing much better. It was quite the ordeal but I am so glad she was ok and they were able to get her leg fixed and she is feeling much better!!


No comments:
Post a Comment